Thursday, April 3, 2008

A good hard look at my health

Last year I was having what I thought were pretty serious health problems. This may sound a little disgusting, but after I would eat I would have to go to the bathroom. I would get serious cramping and would be in the bathroom for a good 15 to 20 minutes. Then the problem started getting worst. There were times when I would not eat anything and would still have digestion problems. I consulted my physician. We came to the conclusion that I had irritable Bowl Syndrome, or IBS. This caused problems in my life. I stopped riding in a vanpool that I would ride to work everyday because I did not want to have a problem, or have to tell them to pull over so I could run to a bush somewhere on the side of the road. Since the gas prices were, and are still rising this costs me a great deal of money. Traveling with people was an issue.



One of the triggers of IBS is stress. But the main issue is my diet. At the time I was 35 years old and I did not know how much I weighed. I entered a "Biggest Loser" contest at work. On the initial weigh-in I weighed in at a whopping 298 lbs. It was time to make a change. I was fortunate enough to have a good team comprised of three of my co-workers. Throughout the twelve weeks one of my teammates encouraged all of us to keep at it. I did not win the competition, but I lost 30 lbs. and was a slim trim 260.

Since then old habits crept back into my life and the exercise plan is now non-existent. I am back up to 292 lbs. and the clothes that fit at 260 rest in my closet. It's time to get back on the healthy lifestyle bandwagon! So from here on out I am going to use my blog as a motivational tool! I am going to make entries regarding my fight to get down to a svelte 230-220 lbs. All the statistics say that in order to be in the "normal" healthy range for my height, and age I should be 190-180 lbs. I am going to shoot for 220 and see how I feel when I get there. Besides what is normal any way. I am asking for you help though. You are going to be my accountability partners! Feel free to make comments positive or negative about my progress or lack there of!

Here is the plan:

1. I am going to start eating like I did when I was in the Biggest loser. A lot of salads, and healthy foods. I have cut out a lot of soda already because caffeine is a trigger for IBS. But I am also going to cut out any and all fast food!
2. I am the cook in the family so even thought I am tired and burned out after a long days work I am going to make sure I exercise for 30-minutes a night, and cook a healthy meal for dinner.
3. I am going to include my wife and daughter. Meaning that I am going to make them eat the same food that I do and engage in healthy activity with me in the evenings.
4. The big key that I found when I was doing the biggest loser is that it is a lifestyle change. So...I am not going to call this a diet. I refuse! I should be eating healthy anyway! My mother did not take us to fast food establishments everynight, or when it was convienient.

So...The saga is starting today...right now!

4 comments:

Momgunter said...

Good choices, Joe. I'm doing Weight Watchers which is too expensive and Dad is working hard physically. Yard work. We're both losing. I need to exercise. Mom

castlemom13 said...

Hey, check out this site. I'm doing weight watchers too, but this exercise method is actually working amazingly. Love ya! julirae
http://www.momentumfs.com/

Joe said...

Thanks for the help girls. I need to get on it. Summer is coming and it is time for swinsuit weather!

Susan said...

Wait - were you on The Biggest Loser, like the TV show?? Or, just following the Biggest Loser diet?

Like your mom and sister, I'm on WW. It works when I do it - LOL - darn Krispy Kremes are getting me down.

Good luck with your goals!