Monday, January 26, 2009

Theraputic Community

Recently I moved back into my old counselor position in a drug unit. It is formally called a "theraputic community", but realistically it is a drug program. No I am not on drugs, and this blog is not going to be about addiction. But I think the public in general could learn a little something about a theraputic community.

A theraputic community is a cognative behavioral modification program for addicts. In the prison setting we mainly focus on drug, and alcohol addiction, but you could be a drug and alcohol addict and not use alcohol. The main theme of this program is to provide and teach addicts how to live in a structred, caring safe environment. To basically teach them the the drug/alcohol induced life that they have built is not normal. One of the main ways that the theraputic environment is achieved is by holding each other accountable. The offenders like to call it snitching, but really nobody is telling on each other. You confront others behavior to the person who has to problematic behavior. Confronting a behavior would go something like this..."Hello Mr. A I noticed that you cut me off on the freeway. You also flipped me the bird as if it was my fault. Your behavior put me and my family members at risk. Out of care and concern I want to bring this to your attention." Mr. A would then say this..."Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will get on top of that behavior."

It sounds simple dosen't it. That main problem with addicts, and criminals in general is they have a lot of criminal thinking errors. Dr. Samenow and Yolsch did a study on why criminals think the way they do. Through their study they found that criminal have a lot of general thinking errors. One for example is a lack of trust. Another would be "zero state" meaning I am me therefore I am. Or in laymans terms I am special and the rules do not apply to me.

But here is the point of this blog. Everybody has thinking errors! Have you ever been running a little late and pushed the pedal down a little hard to make an appointment on time. You probably thought "Oh I am not a speeder. I know the sign said 65 MPH, but I am late and I need to be there. They need me. Besides there are never any police around when you need them." You my friend just committed a thinking error. Now don't go writting yourself off just yet. The difference between how addicts think and how us "freedom lovers" think can be radically different. For instance. We we eventually get a ticket for going 75 in a 65 we go pay the ticket. The criminals most likely never had a license to begin with and probably have warrants out so they are not even going to mail their ticket in, nor go near a court room.

The point is we are becomming a society that does not want to confront behavior. We can confront behavior out of care and concern but we tend not to because the behavior has not effected us yet. We tend to think that we would be violating peoples god given rights or freedom. Most often we do not like it when people confront our behavior. But all we have to say is "Thank you. I'll get on top of that."

When I sat down to write this blog I had a really good point. The point of this blog has long since escaped my mind and I and thinking about practicing fiddle. So take from this what you may. Developing your character is a journey of truth.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My problem is I don't like confrontation. I'm afraid people will be mad at me or won't like me. So I tend to ignore the behavior that is bothering me and avoid the people that are displaying the poor behavior. I need to work on it. I totally got the jist of your post. It's definatly a good point.

Joe said...

I am trying to write less serious blogs. Thanks though. We all like you. So confront us, or practice confronting us. Either, or.

Joe said...

I am trying to write less serious blogs. Thanks though. We all like you. So confront us, or practice confronting us. Either, or.