Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The music of my soul


My parents are getting interesting now that they have retired. They are really getting into their hobbies that they didn't have a whole lot of time for when we were growing up. I never really knew that my mother was a music fan. But recently in her blog she wrote about one of her music favorites...George Strait. She is also getting into fiddling, namely irish fiddling.

Being a fiddler I have a lot of musical influences. Of which is the man in this picture. He is Benny Thomasson of Seattle Washington by way of Texas. He is the father of Texas, or contest fiddling. His albums are some of the most charished CD's in my collection. He taught many young aspiring fiddlers in his generation and loved carring on the tradition of old-time fiddling. In his day he was a great dance fiddler! Now when you go to the National Old-time Fiddle Contest in Weiser idaho you hear many fiddle tunes that are being played just that way Benny played them!

For generations music has brought many families together. In the old days fiddlers were the entertainment of the town. It was not uncommon to have a Cailie, or house hooly on the weekends at your neighbors house. Fiddlers would play into the wee hours of the morning or until there were no dancers left.

Sometimes I feel like I was born a couple of generations to late. Not to dismiss my generation because I am happy to carry on Benny's tradition for great dance/contest fiddle music.

No comments: