Monday, November 24, 2008

Everything I learned from inmates

So your getting a two for one deal. Basically I thought I should explain a thought in my last blog. Everything I learned in corrections I learned from inmates. It's true to a point, especially in corrections, but I did learn a lot from great experienced staff members. But I also learned a lot of great life lessons from offenders.
In corrections that are a lot of processes and policies that a correctional professional such as myself is governed by. There are proecesses for everything from getting a new pair of underware to how to address an envelop. One of the first processes I learned from an offender was how to process, and document legal mail. The offender was kind enough to tell me where the log book was kept, what key to use to unlock the filing cabinet that the logbook was kept in and exactly how to document the event. Another valuable tip that I learned from inmates was that cooking methamphetamines in your house with your children and your wife is apparently bad for you and could get you thrown in prison. Apparently, a lot of them are coming to this realization. I also learned that you can defraud that welfare system by divorcing your wife, but still live with her. Suprisingly your don't have to pay child support, but still have more rights then I do to see your children.
I learned a lot of house cleaning tips too. For instance, your need to take a shower everyday because your get smelly. If you get smelly enough your cellmate, or celly, does not like you very much and eventually people may beat you up. Accordingly if you stick towels in your toilet and flush it a lot of times it will flood your cell. You flood your cell the emergency response team will come. If the emergency response team comes one of two things are going to happen. Your are either going to be sprayed with pepper spray until you come to the cuff port and are put in hand cuffs, or the emergency response team will come in and place you in cuffs.
Needless to say I am being sarcastic. But, writing this blog makes me feel better about my career and lets me know that I have the best job in the world. Everyday is a new adventure with simple life lessons. I am just happy that so many idiots are in one place.

Joe Gunter

"Every good and nobel idea will be preverted by special interest until it no longer resembles the original idea nor accomplishes the intended goal." Boucher's law of cenceptual retrograde.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting insights to prison life. I hope I never end up there, but if I do, I didn't do it. Isn't everyone in prison innocent?...LOL!

Joe said...

We all are! And if you do end up in prison I am sure you can con you way out of it.